Monday, October 11, 2010

Village of Ponderosa Art Show

Signing up for an October outdoor show in Iowa was risky. However, as unpredictable Iowa weather can be, we had 80 degree weather, and the ArtFest was enjoyable. I have met many great artist and these events, although being very hard work, can create some wonderful friendships.

I brought in a mixture of small and big art and a mix of two year worth creations.
The ProPanels worked really well and provided a wonderful backdrop for my magical booth.
The art is like fireworks: most people want to see it, but they don't really want to pay for it.

As an artist tending my booth I have heard all kinds of stories. One engineer explained to me why he decided to not become an artist although he had interest in music. Good for him! Another person asked me if I painted all those by myself, which was obvious. Many people made great comments, some of them made purchases that helped me justify all the effort.

Every new sale is a new thrill because it opens up a new opportunity to create something else in its place. I have worked long and hard to create all the artwork and have come to understand some things about art, artists and art consumption during this event. I realized that I am already wealthy since my focus in life is creating fun and beauty. Being successful in art means that I can succeed at anything.

The art buyers are those individuals who have a wealth mindset. They don't dwell on pettiness of trying to figure out if they are getting their money worth. No product made in America can compete with cheapness of imports. Fine Art belongs into that category and artists unfortunately can't charge Walmart prices. Therefore, people who buy original art are simply those who don't believe into scarcity, who don't have a "I can't afford that!" symptom that is so pervasive in this society.

Artists on the other hand finance the art shows by paying booth fees, and it is really tough if they don't sell enough to at least cover the expenses of the show. These events can be a mix of excitement and disappointment. Everybody puts their heart and soul into creating the work and hauling the merchandise to entertain the masses. Artists are really unpaid entertainers and I can't help but think that people should pay a nominal fee to see the art. Since they are not so eager to buy, $5 per person entry fee would at least help defray some of the cost. Everyone should have fun on these events, and that includes artists and exhibitors, don't you agree?

No comments: